Location: Our campus located near Spitalfields (remote for now due to COVID-19)
Role Type: Permanent, Full Time
Salary Bracket: £60,000 - £65,000
Reporting to: Head of Partnerships
Everyone deserves a job they love. At Makers, we retrain people as software developers and kickstart their careers by placing them in tech teams across the UK.
You deserve a job you love, and we’ve got one for you.
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
Makers Academy provides a tech talent pipeline to large enterprise clients such as Vodafone, JPMC, FT, KPMG, Deloitte, Ford, Elsevier, Just Eat, Deliveroo, Google and many others by supplying highly capable software engineers. We establish long-term relationships with these companies, helping them solve their hiring needs on an ongoing basis. We sell complex solutions that involve multiple stakeholders across Senior Tech, Business and HR.
We’re in an exciting period of growth and are looking for a Business Development Manager within our commercial partnerships team, which is responsible for selling the partnerships we retain with enterprise companies.
You will be responsible for the delivery and performance of the Makers sales process, from lead generation through to contract completion and everything in between.
You will also ensure a clean, healthy and sufficient pipeline in order to achieve individual quota objectives.
You may already be working in a Business Development Manager capacity and looking to take the next step in your career or you'll be at AD level and keen to take on a new challenge in a business transitioning this year from start-up to scale up.
You will report to the Head of Partnerships.
What you’ll be doing
- Translating Marketing / Sales Qualified Leads into pipeline opportunities to establish need for our Makers graduates
- Management of sales opportunities through the pipeline to ensure they convert to a commercial partnership
- Maintaining a sufficient pipeline to ensure quota can be achieved and where possible exceeded
- Delivery a consultative sales methodology with key enterprise clients to ensure they meet the Makers commercial partner criteria
- Maintaining and ensuring accurate recording of data within the CRM to support reporting and visibility across teams
- Establishing a clear sequence of events to close the deal
- Developing in collaboration with internal stakeholders an implementation / contract delivery plan to ensure smooth handover process to customer success colleagues
- Collaborating with Marketing, Product and Training teams on an ongoing basis to ensure a continuous feedback loop
What success looks like
Success in this role is continually building the number of commercial partnerships that in turn helps our Makers graduates secure the best career. You will build relationships with our customers, maintaining a clear daily, weekly and monthly rhythm for achieving quota, coaching our clients consultatively and developing solutions to their challenges with securing tech talent.
Your first month will be a success as you have understood the programmes on offer for enterprise clients and you will have set up meetings with key stakeholders to understand their needs and start to piece together what a partnership might look like.
At month three you will be working effectively with the partnerships managers and client partners and have established best practices and a clear plan on which enterprises will land as clients in the next twelve months. Success will be measured by having a healthy pipeline which shows at least three partnerships landing within the next 3-6 months.
At month six, having fully understood the business, you will have taken a number of MQLs/Prospects through to contract stage and with a handful of new partnerships launched experience of the end to end partnerships process. You will have a clear partnership acquisition plan up to 2023 enabling us to add new and exciting clients to our already impressive client list. Success will be measured by having closed at least four partnerships and having a healthy pipeline which shows at least six more landing within the next 6-9 months.
Who we’re looking for
- Proven skills in prospecting and sales outreach to establish key client meetings.
- Previous experience in consultative sales: we aim to deeply understand our clients’ problems and sell a customised pipeline of software developers offering a range of skills, as well as a set of consultancy services. We also offer a range of payment models including Apprenticeship levy to suit our clients needs.
- Previous experience in effective pipeline management: clearly targeting key stakeholders, establishing outbound best practice, setting priorities and targets, and ensuring a health pipeline is delivered.
- Previous experience managing a complex sales process: clearly defining roles and responsibilities of key stakeholders, establishing deal maps and conflict resolution.
- Strong leadership skills to inspire multiple stakeholders at some of largest enterprises why Makers graduates are the future of tech talent
- A well-developed commercial sense, experience of selling to business unit leads (Business and Tech) and of developing and growing senior relationships, demonstrable evidence of having won and grown high six figure contracts.
- Analytical skills required to produce data-driven insights to support a disciplined sales process
- Ability to analyse the reasons behind over-performance and under-performance and communicate this regularly to the Head of Sales, and suggest specific changes
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Who you are:
- Performance and results-driven: You've got a proven track record of sales performance success and influence which has resulted in winning business
- Commercial: You’ve sold to and managed sales processes with large enterprise corporations and know the ropes around best practice when these companies are your clients
- Analytical and data-driven: You’ll know how to collate sales data and how to analyse it to determine what action needs to be taken to improve sales metrics and performance
- Adaptable: We’re a mature startup moving into a scale up and as a result, you’ll embrace the ebb and flow of changes to the business as it makes this transition
- Able to take and act on feedback - cares a lot about both giving and receiving, using this to improve continuously to support better outcomes for internal and external stakeholders
At Makers we’re proud of our environment which is built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives. We value growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively. We care about being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year (excluding UK Bank Holidays), including a Winter and Spring break when we shut down between late December and January, and mid year for a week. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- Private Medical Insurance (after you’ve been with us at least 3 months);
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Company pension contributions;
- Enhanced parental pay & leave - up to 20 weeks fully paid maternity leave, up to 8 weeks fully paid paternity & secondary caregiver leave, and up to 20 weeks fully paid adoption leave.
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts;
Apply with your CV, Cover Letter. We’ll review completed applications and get back to you as soon as possible.
If invited to begin the interview process here’s what to expect:
- Initial 30 min call with our Head of Partnerships
- A set task to understand your skill & expertise, and ways of working
- Opportunity to meet with some of the Partnerships team, and a member of the SMT
- Final conversation with our CEO
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included - we know we can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re sorry; and second, we’d really like to hear from you about it, so we don’t do it again.