Everyone deserves a job they love. Makers re-trains people as software developers, then help them find that job.
You deserve a job you love. We’ve got one for you.
Makers is growing and we need a new Head of People to help us keep our people happy as we scale.
You’ll work closely with the CEO - acting as a strategic partner - to support his efforts in building the best ever culture at Makers. Your main responsibility is to ensure Makers is a place that our People love to work and are enabled to thrive. With your expert help and care, we’ll continue to build a culture where trust not fear is the norm and care resonates in everything we do by our team.
We aren’t afraid to experiment with bold ideas while staying focused on the interests of the business. We’ll expect you to innovate, while staying pragmatic. In this role you’ll have a chance to help us define a culture that years from now will be known as “the Makers way”.
You have a deep understanding of what makes teams work well, and will be able to offer a vision for how to improve our culture. You’ll have an acute understanding of the team’s psychological needs (and familiarity with employment law). You’ll help us align around our core values, translating them into everyday practices.
The Head of People is a member of the Makers Leadership team.
Success in this role looks like:
- The team loves working at Makers and you can prove it with qualitative and quantitative data
- The team stays happy and engaged as we scale
- Our working practices (hiring, promotions, compensation, performance reviews, etc) are in alignment with our stated core values
- Everyone’s clear on what their job is, what success looks like and how they’re evaluated by the company, how they can develop, and what will (and won’t) get them fired
- The overwhelming majority of the team say they trust you and value your contributions
What you'll be doing:
- Overseeing the formulation and delivery of the People & Talent Strategy and Plan, aligned to the Company’s business strategy and goals
- Leading on efforts to embed our unique culture and values to drive growth and optimise employee engagement
- Acting as a trusted advisor and coach to our team
- Analysing our culture to provide qualitative and quantitative metrics and turning them into actionable insights for the business
- Re-designing our compensation and performance review processes and implementing these skilfully
- Helping the team plan their career progression, as well as their individual learning and development
- Building and maintaining an inspirational culture book for the team
- Leading on creating effective communication methods to drive transparency and collaboration across all the company
- Provide expert advice and leadership to resolve people issues professionally and ethically.
- Shape and develop our L&D programme
- Hiring great talent - you’ll oversee the entire recruitment progress, ensuring potential hires have a great candidate experience from start to finish
Milestones for the first 90 days:
- A report on the current state of our culture, highlighting main challenges and providing actionable recommendations for the business
- A compensation system and a performance review system that is in line with both our values and company scaling plans
Things we’re looking for:
- You’ll have experience of working in a fast paced, often ambiguous environment
- You understand the true value good People functions can create
- You’re passionate about driving creating positive employee engagement and happiness
- You have high EQ and communication skills
- You’re empathetic and great at relationship-building
- You’re a creative problem-solver, able to analyse data, and brainstorm and create scalable solutions
- You have experience of hiring great talent and know what a stellar candidate experience looks like
- Working in a company that’s built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- Able to join yoga and meditation sessions run for the students;
- Discounts on classes & treatments at Triyoga Shoreditch;
- Join a scaling company that’s evolving all the time;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum - we encourage our team to take at least 33 days a year;
- Private Medical Insurance (after you've been with us at least 3 months);
- A Perks @Work account for significant discounts on products, experiences and things like gym membership;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each others.