Finance Director (FD)
Location: Our campus located near Spitalfields (remote for now due to COVID-19)
Role Type: Permanent, Full Time or 80%
Salary Bracket: £85,000 - £120,000 depending on experience
Reporting to: CEO
Everyone deserves a job they love. At Makers, we retrain people as software developers and kickstart their careers by placing them in tech teams across the UK.
You deserve a job you love, and we’ve got one for you.
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
As FD at Makers, you will be responsible for the overall financial and operational strategy, and leading its execution.
This is an executive role, and the key mission will be to set and deliver our finance and operational strategy. This will include setting our long term financial strategy, setting our annual budget and running our objectives process. You will monitor and report on progress against these plans to the board and across the organisation. You will be accountable for forecast accuracy, risk management and rapid identification and response to any changes. You will also be accountable for financial compliance across the business. You will lead the Finance and Operations teams, directly managing our Senior Operations Manager and Finance Manager/Controller. Finally you will be a key contributor to the senior management team and at board level.
What you’ll be doing
Executive and general responsibilities
- Participate and directly influence key business decisions as a member of the senior management team and board.
- Lead our Finance and Operations teams, being directly accountable for the team’s growth, performance and continued development.
- Oversee and manage the accounting, investor relations, legal, tax, and treasury functions.
- Oversee and manage any third parties to which accounting or finance functions have been outsourced
- Oversee reporting business results and outlook to the Board and Investors, including key trends and suggestions to optimise business financial performance.
- Oversee the company's transaction processing systems
- Lead on setting standards of operational excellence
- Oversee due diligence and negotiate complex transactions
- Identify and report on relevant metrics relating to business performance
- Hold our SMT accountable for delivering against targets
- Collaborate with and influence SMT to mitigate performance shortfalls
- Set the long term financial and operational strategy
- Oversee the annual budget process
- Lead the objective setting process
- Manage the capital request and planning processes
- Develop performance measures and KPIs that support the company's strategic direction
Reporting & Control
- Monitor and report on performance and progress against budget and plan
- Put in place rapid response to changes in performance
- Oversee the production and issuance of financial and non-financial information
- Personally review and approve all statutory filings
- Report financial results to the board of directors and third-party stakeholders
- Accountable for the overall effectiveness and suitability of financial controls
- Understand and mitigate key elements of the company's risk profile
- Monitor all open legal issues involving the company
- Construct and monitor reliable control systems
- Maintain appropriate insurance cover
- Ensure that the company complies with all legal and regulatory requirements
- Ensure that record keeping meets the requirements of third-party stakeholders
- Oversee the relationship with auditors and investigate their findings and recommendations
- Management and control of cash balances and cash forecasts
- Determine investment strategies, invest funds and manage currency risk
Corporate Development / Financing Strategy
- Plan and arrange for debt and equity financing
- Develop and maintain banking relationships
- Represent the company with bankers and investors to a high standard
- Ensure that our business operations support Makers’ scaling strategy in a sustainable way.
- Own and lead on the long-term business IT strategy, ensuring that our IT solutions are optimised and that we have robust asset management processes in place.
- Own and lead on the long-term business property strategy to ensure our current and future operational needs are met in terms of our onsite space.
What success looks like
- Clear financial strategy in place, consistent with business goals
- Ambitious budget set with full engagement of organisation and delivered.
- Risks managed through the year
- The company has the financial and operational resources it needs to execute against its strategy in a sustainable way
- The Board and SMT have a shared understanding of key business risks and actions required to mitigated against them
- Senior stakeholders have timely access to the metrics (financial and non-financial) that help them understand their performance
- The finance and operations functions have the tools and technology needed to provide optimal support to the business
- The finance and operations teams score highly on employee engagement, measured quarterly
Who we’re looking for
- ACA/ACCA/CIMA fully qualified
- Strong financial and accounting background, bulletproof on technical basics, an expert in their field.
- Extensive experience (5+ years) in high-growth environments with direct responsibility for business financial and operational strategy
- Willingness and ability to understand all levels of the financial and operational function, and immerse themselves into the detail when needed in order to best support and lead the department.
- Experienced in reporting to the board and managing key stakeholders, and in leading and planning for fundraising rounds.
- Strong business operations background and experience with corporate governance
- Hands-on, action oriented leader who can build meaningful relationships with peers and team. Able to influence team buy-in at all levels of the financial and operational strategy.
- Someone who believes in continuous learning and leads by example by being open about what they don’t know, but actively upskilling and experimenting.
- Bachelors and Masters degree (or equivalent) in accounting or other finance or business-related studies
- Ability to inspire confidence and create trust at all levels across the business
- Great people manager, able to develop and nurture our Finance and Operations teams, enabling and empowering them to fulfill their individual potentials.
- Ideally has experience leading across both large corporates and smaller scaling SMEs
- A recognised leader, known for influencing and driving strategies to optimise business performance and ensure sustainable growth at senior management and board levels
- Critical thinking, strategic acumen - able to understand trends, market data, business risks and create innovative solutions to upskill, protect, and grow our business.
- Excellent financial modelling skills and ability to work with complex excel models
- Working in a company that's built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives;
- Growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively;
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year, including a Winter break when we shut down between late December and January. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- Private Medical Insurance (after you’ve been with us at least 3 months);
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Unlimited free coffee from Trade when we return to the office;
- Company pension contributions;
- Enhanced parental pay & leave - up to 20 weeks fully paid maternity leave, up to 8 weeks fully paid paternity & secondary caregiver leave, and up to 20 weeks fully paid adoption leave.
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts;
- Being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
- Apply with your CV and a cover letter.
- We’ll review completed applications and get back to you as soon as possible, either with feedback about your application or an invitation to begin the interview process.
- If your application is successful, throughout the interview process you’ll have the opportunity to meet and interview with our CEO and other members of our Senior Management Team, members of our Finance & Operations teams, and potentially other relevant members of the wider business.
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included - we know we can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re sorry; and second, we’d really like to hear from you about it, so we don’t do it again.