Product Manager (Learning Products)
Location: Hybrid working from our office near Spitalfields or at home
Role Type: Permanent, Full Time
Salary Bracket: £30,000 - £35,000
Reporting to: Head of Product
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
The purpose of the role is to manage two product work streams: updating existing product, and action requests for changes on time and with the desired quality. Given the team is fairly new, it will involve applying agile methodologies to the two processes. This will involve working closely with the product team as well as all teams across the business to support and ensure that their work makes progress according to key metrics. A key part of the role is to help the teams overcome barriers in order to deliver on time and in full, as well as coordinating activities across the board.
What you’ll be doing
- Further improving existing processes that will enable the us to update existing products and action requests for changes
- Apply an agile methodology and project management to manage and deliver multiple tasks
- Maintaining product project plans and backlogs
- Creating long and short-term plans, including setting targets for milestones, adhering to deadlines, and allocating resources
- Setting up steering group with a regular cadence to track timelines and manage risks
- Delegating tasks to people best positioned to complete them, including a RACI matrix
- Identifying and managing potential risks and liabilities, mitigating them ahead of time
- Serving as a point of contact for teams to ensure actions remain in synergy on updating products and requests for changes
- Performing quality control on the product throughout development to maintain the standards expected
- Build and improve processes to be repeatable and scalable
- Provide guidance to product writers in creating engaging content for our customers
- Work with key stakeholders to identify and close gaps in our products
- Set-up and implement templates that make collaborating more effective. E.g. Technical documentation to develop technical functionality
- Document the solution and ensure that information provided in the documentation is correct, complete and presented in the most appropriate manner
- Support Sales and Marketing to develop the core positioning and messaging for the product as well as value propositions
- Maintain, give visibility, and evolve a product roadmap
- Monitor product/feature performance
- Coordinate discovery activities with your cross-functional team
Continuous Improvement Mindset
- Data driven
- Champion a ‘test and learn’ approach to develop products and features, all with clear hypotheses and success metrics
- Be forward in sharing what has worked, what has not, learnings and what to design and build as a result of learnings
- Regularly update stakeholders about the performance of the product and use this as a backdrop for product recommendations
Having worked in an agile, project management or consultancy background is helpful. We expect you to be comfortable achieving 80% of the above. We expect people to grow on the job.
What success looks like
- All products are being updated within the agreed timeline. Target is 2-4 per year.
- Day-to-day product improvement requests are being delivered within the agreed SLA.
- There is transparency of the processes - Data tracking is possible.
- Customer are getting value from our product.
- Products are profitable.
Why you’ll love working at Makers
At Makers, we’re proud of our environment which is built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives. We value growing as a person by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively. We care about being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
Our Benefits & Perks
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year (excluding UK Bank Holidays), including a Winter and Spring break when we shut down between late December and January, and mid year for a week. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Fully hybrid working from our office located near Spitalfields or at home;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Company pension contributions;
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts.
- Initial phone call with one of our Talent Partners (30mins)
- Exercise - Individual (1hour max)
- Interview with our Product Team to share exercise (1h 15mins)
- Values interview with one or two members of our Senior Management Team (30mins)
At Makers, diversity and inclusion are core to our mission. Ensuring our people feel included and valued is critical for us to live the Makers' values: Nurture a growth mindset, Trust over fear, and Prioritise joy. We are actively working towards fostering a strong culture of belonging for both our students and our people and encourage applications from all backgrounds, abilities, communities, and industries. We see the value behind the new ideas you could bring to help us achieve our mission.
If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re sorry. Second, we’d really like to hear from you about it so we don’t do it again.