Marketing & Growth Director
Location: Our campus located near Spitalfields (remote for now due to COVID-19)
Role Type: Permanent, Full Time
Salary Bracket: £90,000 - £95,000
Reporting to: CEO
Everyone deserves a job they love. At Makers, we retrain people as software developers and kickstart their careers by placing them in tech teams across the UK.
You deserve a job you love, and we’ve got one for you.
Makers is Europe’s first and leading ‘coding bootcamp’ - where career-changers retrain as software developers. Founded in 2013, we’ve helped more than 2,200 people begin a new career in software, building long-term relationships with tech employers big and small.
We’re pretty good at what we do, according to our clients (both developers and employers), industry bodies, the press and the government. We can only get better by working with you.
We're looking for an experienced and inspiring Marketing Director to lead our growing marketing team, reporting to the CEO. You will be responsible for providing leadership and management of Makers’ marketing organisation with a particular focus on mentoring our current Marketing team and instilling best practices for scaling. You will design a strategic plan for amplifying the Makers brand so that it is seen as a global market leader for transformational training.
Bringing your strengths in “marketing as a science”, you will be responsible for taking our systems and processes to the next level, reimagining our acquisition funnel and customer journey from discovery through to advocacy of both our students (B2C) and our Hiring Partners (B2B). You will oversee branding, internal and external communications, digital marketing, community engagement, content, social media and events. You will have P&L management accountability including direct responsibility for consistently growing revenue quarter on quarter. You will work collaboratively with the Marketing team to define and implement marketing and brand strategy that meets and exceeds KPIs, and will also work with stakeholders from functional organizations across the company that rely on marketing services and expertise.
What you’ll be doing
Leadership and vision
- You will develop the marketing vision and strategy in conjunction with the CEO and Senior Management Team (SMT), aligned to our 3 year business strategy to deliver annual revenue goals.
- You will build a brand strategy and marketing tone that will grow Makers into a market leading global brand.
Planning and execution
- You will lead the development and implementation of marketing strategy, enabling the Marketing Team to hit long-term and short-term goals.
- You will build a comprehensive annual marketing roadmap that prioritises between initiatives and builds strong marketing calendars.
- Your expertise will enable a collaborative team to design the full strategy across the marketing funnel from brand awareness through to consideration, successful close and advocacy.
- You will gain a deep understanding of our customer segments and strategically direct focus alongside the Head of Sales to ensure effective supply and demand matching.
- You’ll evaluate our current Marketing systems to identify the best way to scale the function.
Prepare to scale
- Analyse market trends, always keeping a finger on the pulse of the market to identify opportunities for growth.
- As one of your first priorities, you’d be mapping out the first 5 roundtables you’d lead for our communities to help inform and enable this growth and scale
Own marketing KPIs and growth objectives
- You will own the marketing budget with responsibility to demonstrate incrementality & positive ROI on spend.
- You will track and share business KPIs, recognising trends, troubleshooting issues and identifying opportunities to accelerate growth.
Digital Marketing Approach
- Reform our digital marketing approach and deliver integrated, 360 marketing campaigns.
- Your expertise will enable the Marketing Team to deliver campaigns through management of local marketing budget and channel analysis of efficient activities (performance/paid and CRM) to fuel growth across channels.
- You will also lead cross functional projects with product and sales. This includes merging insights, data, and creativity to produce the most effective campaigns.
Lead, develop and coach our Marketing team
- Recruit, manage, train & develop a world class marketing team across multiple disciplines, ensuring they have the correct support and resources to succeed in their roles.
- You will work with the team on long-term goals for their growth, personal wellbeing and help them measure success.
- Extensive experience leading marketing at multiple technology companies. Has worked at high-growth technology companies with direct responsibility for global corporate marketing strategy and execution.
- An expert who is passionate about building and developing the science and fundamentals that make marketing a success
- Proven track record at building and transforming world class brands
- Proven track record of hitting and exceeding growth targets in complex, cross functional environments
- Experience leading the development of exciting and effective awareness and brand marketing campaigns that influence both B2C and B2B buyers
- A recognised leader, known for identifying, recruiting and developing incredible talent
- Ideally you’ve worked in the tech space and industry, and are able to bring cutting edge relevant ideas to invigorate and grow our B2C and B2B communities through events, campaigns, and strategies
Who you are
- A mentor; Someone who loves sharing knowledge and whose leadership style is driven by the desire to level up those around them.
- Data driven; a candidate that knows how to set up and drive deeply-rooted usage of analytics to evaluate marketing performance and drive decisions
- A customer fanatic; a candidate that understands that no one can tell our story better than our customers and has demonstrated this in prior roles
- Ability to determine, implement and adjust the mix between B2C and B2B audiences in a marketplace
- Growth mindset with proven track record of developing and embodying a culture of rapid experimentation and continuous learning
- Ability to manage and plan at both the strategic and operational levels, and someone who enjoys rolling their sleeves up to support the team
- Critical thinking, strategic acumen and market insight: The skill to synthesize competitive trends, market data and customer /consumer insights into a plan of action. Comfortable with ambiguity and change
- Hands-on, action-oriented leader who can command the respect of his/her superiors, peers and team. Ability to influence team to buy-in fully to the approach and execute goals and objectives with enthusiasm
- Someone who believes in continuous learning and leads by example being open about what they don’t know but actively upskilling and experimenting
- Must be an effective written and oral communicator with all stakeholders
At Makers we’re proud of our environment which is built on trust over fear with a core mission to transform lives. We value growing as a person, by learning transparency, vulnerability, the growth mindset, emotional intelligence, perhaps some hard truths about yourself, and how to give and receive feedback honestly and productively. We care about being surrounded by a diverse group of bright, motivated people, who all really care about doing the very best they can for our students, for our hiring partners and for each other.
- We have a minimum holiday policy, rather than a maximum. We encourage our team to take at least 30 days a year, including a Winter break when we shut down between late December and January. The whole company takes a break, so you’ll have peace of mind in knowing that nobody is working, not just you.
- We embrace holistic health at Makers, where mental health matters and is just as important as physical health, which is why we offer unlimited fully paid wellness leave from day 1.
- Private Medical Insurance (after you’ve been with us at least 3 months);
- £500 Learning & Development allowance per annum and paid time off dedicated to your training & learning;
- Join twice-weekly yoga and daily meditation sessions run for the staff and students;
- 20% discount on classes & treatments at Triyoga studies across London;
- Company pension contributions;
- Enhanced parental pay & leave - up to 20 weeks fully paid maternity leave, up to 8 weeks fully paid paternity & secondary caregiver leave, and up to 20 weeks fully paid adoption leave.
- Access to a Perks at Work account which provides access to a range of shopping and other leisure discounts;
Apply with your CV, Cover Letter, and the answer to these questions:
- What are 3 values that are most important to you and why?
- Describe your mentoring style and why you think Makers would benefit from it.
- What does “Marketing as a Science” mean to you, and how do you adopt this approach in your work?
We’ll review completed applications and get back to you as soon as possible
If invited to begin the interview process here’s what to expect:
- Phone screen with our Director of Delivery
- A short set task to assess your skill set
- Interview with our CEO, Head of Sales and Events Lead
- Interview with some members of our Marketing team
- Half day working session with key members of the SMT (we’ll pay you for your time)
We’re building a working environment (and recruitment process) where everyone feels welcome and included - we know we can do a lot better, and we’re committed to learning what more we can do to improve. If reading this job description has given you any doubt about whether you’d feel welcome or included at Makers, first, we’re sorry; and second, we’d really like to hear from you about it, so we don’t do it again.